Walmart employee puts returns on gift cards, spends money herself | Crime
COLUMBUS, GA - A Walmart employee was arrested after taking return items and putting them on a gift card for herself.
The Asset Protection Manager reported to police that she saw Tiffany Clay repeatedly take merchandise from customers as returns then return them a second time at the Whittlesey Blvd. store.
Clay would then put the second return on a gift card and spend it in the store.
The suspect has reportedly been doing this from Jan. 8 to March 20 and refunded a total of 21 times totalling $866.06.
The manager reported the incident now because it took a while for the system to catch up with Clay and for them to review the tapes.
When Clay was arrested on March 29, she told police she wanted to "tell the truth." She admitted that she knew it was wrong and she just needed the money because "times are hard."
Tiffany Clay was charged with felony theft by deception.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan
- Feeding an Army for Thanksgiving at Fort Benning
- Political commentator, military historian Lt. Col. Oliver North visits Ft. Benning