Burglary suspect hides in neighbor's apartment, threatens to kill himself | Crime
COLUMBUS, GA - Columbus Police tried to arrest a burglary suspect Monday afternoon and ended up in a stand off with the suspect.
Officers were at Milgen Village Apartments to serve a warrant on a burglary suspect around noon.
The man was identified as Michael Brewer, age 23, of Columbus. He was wanted on five different charges, four of which are from the Columbus Police Department and one from the Muscogee County Sheriff’s Office.
Columbus Police warrants include burglary, terroristic threat, obstruction of a police officer and probation violation. The Sheriff’s Office also had a violation probation charge for him.
When Brewer figured out police had arrived, he hopped up into the attic and dropped down into an empty neighboring apartment and hid under the sink in some cabinets.
Brewer had a knife and was threatening to slit his throat. Police stopped him before he could do serious harm to himself.
He has minor injuries and they’re not life threatening.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest