Mother charged in connection with infant son's death | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- A Columbus mother has been charged with one count of second-degree cruelty to children in connection with the death of her 2-month-old son.
Jonaida Nieves-Perez, 20, was arrested after Columbus Police launched an investigation into the March 31 death of her son, 2-month old Emanuel Kadene Thomas.
Police reports say that an ambulance responded to a Plateau Drive home about 6:30 a.m. because Thomas wasn't breathing. The child was taken to The Medical Center and pronounced dead just after 7 a.m.
The mother of two then became the center of the investigation by Columbus detectives but there are still a lot of unanswered question. The suspect's sister and mother both say there is no way Perez would have let this happen.
Liznaida Perez says, "She take care of her kids very good, and I don't think she would try to harm her baby."
Nieves-Perez appeared in recorders court on Wednesday. The case has now been bound over to superior court.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan
- Feeding an Army for Thanksgiving at Fort Benning
- Political commentator, military historian Lt. Col. Oliver North visits Ft. Benning