Online lottery tickets approved in GA | News
(WTVM)- Georgia residents will soon be able to buy lottery tickets online.
On Wednesday, state lottery officials approved an online ticket system that is expected to begin sales in November.
The online sales are projected to increase the lottery's revenue by more than $15 million, which would help fund the state's lottery-funded hope scholarship and pre-kindergarten programs.
Opponents say the approval contradicts the lottery board's stance against expanding legal gambling in Georgia to include casino-like video lottery terminals.
Online sales will initially be limited to Powerball, Mega Millions and Fantasy Five.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest