Columbus man accused of inappropriately touching 5-year-old girl | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- A Columbus man is facing charges of aggravated sexual battery and sodomy. Investigators say James Cureton, 55, is accused of inappropriately touching a 5-year-old girl.
Police say Cureton had physical contact with the girl on September 27. A woman who said she saw the incident reported it to police.
After an investigation, warrants were issued last Friday for his arrest. Cureton turned himself in to police Monday morning and is currently being held at Muscogee County Jail without bond.
Cureton was also a suspect in a 2010 arson case where he was accused of setting fire to his mother's home on Moore Road in the early part of that year. Investigators told us his mother was not at home at the time of the blaze, but an ignitable liquid was found at the scene.
He was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday morning for his recent charges.
News Leader 9 is following this story. We'll have the latest information as soon as it becomes available.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Living historty event featuring Kelly's Zeroes to take place at the National Infantry Museum
- Fort Benning to observe Memorial Day with wreath laying ceremony
- Rangers to receive awards for role in Afghanistan
- Ft. Benning’s Col. Johnson relinquishes command
- Combat wounded World War II veteran honored at Fort Benning