Man leads Columbus police on a car chase with child in back seat | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- Columbus police say a man is behind bars after trying to elude them during at a checkpoint Saturday afternoon at Cusseta Road and South Oakview Drive.
According to authorities, Dameron Givens, 33, is accused of failing to stop at three stop signs, with no regard for other cars.
His 6-year-old daughter was reportedly in the back seat and unrestrained.
Police said they smelled a strong scent of marijuana inside the car.
Givens was charged with 4 offenses, including fleeing and eluding officers, DUI, endangering a child, and speeding.
He is currently being held in the Muscogee County Jail and is expected to appear in Recorder's Court Tuesday at 8:00 a.m.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest