House of Mercy now accepting donations for toy drive | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- One local outreach program is asking for your help to make sure kids in need throughout Columbus will have toys for Christmas this year.
Officials with the House of Mercy say they are taking donations until December 8 with a goal of helping 500 children. They are asking for toys for ages 6 months to 14 years old.
Assistant director Johanne Harris says just donating one toy can make a difference for a child this Christmas.
"We have so many families and especially women with children that just don't have the funds to do what they need to do for their children," said Harris. "So, we do this every year. We do this every year to try and we try to help as many kids as we can."
Officials say they are still taking applications for parents who need help giving their children presents this year. You can just stop by the House of Mercy on 3rd Avenue between 1 and 5 p.m. next week to sign up for help.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Military Matters: Making sweet music with Fort Benning’s marching band
- Trees for Troops to give away 800 Christmas trees on Ft. Benning
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan