Columbus man accused of killing man in SUV claims insanity | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)-
A Columbus man facing a
murder trial is claiming insanity as his defense. Robert Cantelli, 34, is accused of
fatally shooting Joshua Hill in the backseat of his SUV two years ago.
After the shooting, Cantelli reportedly drove to
Seale, Alabama with the victim's body still in the SUV.
When News Leader 9 first reported on this story more than two years ago, authorities told us neighbors called 911 saying they saw Cantelli running around the
vehicle with a gun, covered in blood. Police found the body after a chase and accident.
A public defender says Cantelli told
police he used methamphetamine before the shooting.
Officials confirmed Cantelli has gone through
mental health court and several evaluations. Cantelli's trial is set to start next week on
Tuesday, December 11.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest