Columbus man pleads guilty to first-degree child abuse | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- A Columbus man will have to wait two years to get what he begged for in court.
Thomas Jones broke down begging to go home after pleading guilty to first degree child abuse.
The conviction stems from a incident in March when Jones burned his girlfriends' 8-year-old son with a curling iron.
The prosecution testified the child burned Jones' 2-year-old daughter with the curling iron so Jones burned the 8-year-old to "teach him a lesson."
The little boy suffered second-degree burns to his arms.
Jones has a history of mental illness. He's been sentenced to two years in prison and three years of probation.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Military Matters: Making sweet music with Fort Benning’s marching band
- Trees for Troops to give away 800 Christmas trees on Ft. Benning
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan