Incest awareness campaign begins this week | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- Shedding Our Secrets is an organization in Columbus that is kicking off its incest awareness campaign this week.
This is a silent and widespread problem, and according to its website, one person is sexually assaulted in the United States every two minutes.
The first billboard went up on Wynnton Road in hopes of raising awareness and giving those affected a place to speak out and get support.
"We hope that lifting awareness will give some people hope that they too can get help, and courage to go about getting that help, and learn how to also maintain relationships that are so important in the family units," said Vicky Partin with Chattahoochee Valley Episcopal Ministry.
If you or someone you know has experienced incest or any other kind of sexual abuse, you can call the Chattahoochee Valley Episcopal Ministry at 706-327-0400.
Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan
- Feeding an Army for Thanksgiving at Fort Benning
- Political commentator, military historian Lt. Col. Oliver North visits Ft. Benning