Incest awareness campaign begins this week | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- Shedding Our Secrets is an organization in Columbus that is kicking off its incest awareness campaign this week.
This is a silent and widespread problem, and according to its website, one person is sexually assaulted in the United States every two minutes.
The first billboard went up on Wynnton Road in hopes of raising awareness and giving those affected a place to speak out and get support.
"We hope that lifting awareness will give some people hope that they too can get help, and courage to go about getting that help, and learn how to also maintain relationships that are so important in the family units," said Vicky Partin with Chattahoochee Valley Episcopal Ministry.
If you or someone you know has experienced incest or any other kind of sexual abuse, you can call the Chattahoochee Valley Episcopal Ministry at 706-327-0400.
Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest