Columbus hosts annual MLK Unity Breakfast | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- Monday marked a day of national observance for the 84th birthday of civil rights activist Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Columbus celebrated the federal holiday by holding its annual unity breakfast hosted by the Columbus chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity.
Hundreds of people attended this morning's program as they remembered those who have strived to continue King's legacy of non-violence and equality.
Retired lieutenant colonel Carmen Cavezza received the unity award and he says this day is for everyone.
"I think Martin Luther King was a team builder, not only for the black community, but for everybody. What he said applies to everybody. That's why he's so significant."
Bishop James Swanson brought the keynote address, reflecting on King's last book "Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community."
Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan
- Feeding an Army for Thanksgiving at Fort Benning
- Political commentator, military historian Lt. Col. Oliver North visits Ft. Benning