Columbus man dies in house fire | News
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM)- Broken glass, soot-stained siding, and scorched window treatment were the remnants left at the home on Hood Street in Columbus where 52-year-old Clarence Holt called home for nearly five years.
Holt died from suspected smoke inhalation Friday morning and is Columbus' first fire fatality of 2013.
We spoke to the owner of the home, who says the man died in his favorite room in the house.
Fire Chief Ricky Shores says units were on the scene in minutes but it was too late.
"Upon arrival the units found smoke [coming] from the gable vents of the home," Chief Shores said. "They proceeded to force entry into the home where they were able to locate a victim."
It was through a window in the sunroom that firefighters pulled Holt from the burning home. Holt was pronounced dead shortly after 8 a.m. at the Medical Center.
Chief Deputy Coroner Freeman Worley said it appeared he died of smoke inhalation.
Chief Shores would not elaborate on which part of the house the fire started in or what could have started it; however, from the outside it looked like the sunroom could have taken most of the damage.
We spoke with Holt's land Lord Mary Vanleer she doesn't live in Columbus anymore but said the last time she spoke to Holt he told her he liked to sleep in the sunroom the most.
It took about 10 minutes to get the fire under control, according to Chief Shores.
"It sustained moderate fire and smoke damage," Shores said.
Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Military Matters: Making sweet music with Fort Benning’s marching band
- Trees for Troops to give away 800 Christmas trees on Ft. Benning
- Ft. Benning celebrates annual 250-foot Airborne Tower Lighting Ceremony
- Events coming Up Next! on Ft. Benning
- 12 years later, thousands of US soldiers spending holidays in Afghanistan